How to Troubleshoot a Chevy Silverado Transmission
- 1). Crank the engine and allow it to run until the temperature gauge needle is resting in the center of the gauge.
- 2). Open the hood of the vehicle and remove the transmission dipstick. The dipstick is located at the rear of the engine.
- 3). Clean the transmission fluid from the dipstick and re-insert it into the filler neck. Push it all the way back down.
- 4). Remove the dipstick again and check the transmission fluid level. The level should be between the two marks on the end of the dipstick. Put more fluid into the vehicle, if needed.
- 5). Enter the vehicle and put the transmission in gear. If there is a clunking sound as you do this, the transmission mounts may have failed.
- 6). Drive the Silverado for a short time. If the transmission slips out of gear while driving, the clutch or torque converter may have failed and it will need to be taken to a qualified automotive mechanic.