How to Inspect the Exhaust System on a Honda Accord
- 1). Raise the hood and locate the four tubular pipes of the exhaust manifold bolted to the cylinder head on the passenger side of the engine. Check that the bolts are secure and the gaskets aren't worn. Look for moisture buildup or cracks on the manifold.
- 2). Lift the Accord on a hoist or hydraulic lift to get under the car safely to inspect the entire exhaust system.
- 3). Scan a flashlight over the head pipe that connects to the manifold underneath the engine. Continue looking at the rest of the exhaust system, including the catalytic converter, muffler and tailpipe.
- 4). Feel over the entire exhaust system for holes, cracks, rust or loose connections, especially if you heard telltale noises when idling. Tap gently with a hammer along each piece to locate any weak sections.
- 5). Check the hangers and clamps to make sure they are secure.
- 6). Lower the Honda Accord after you've completely inspected the entire exhaust system.